Join Up

closing a group after a performance

RankRank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2011-12-14

PM

Hi guys,

lately I have been doing many street performances (specialy for girls). Opening has never been a problem for me, the only thing I notice more and more when I evaluate myself after a street or bar performance is that I do not know how to decently close a group.

any of you guys have a cocky, but funny line, or suggestion?

Signature

the real magic happens in a persons head

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-04-09

PM

Usually with a group when you reach the hook point (the point where they would rather you stay and hang out with the group than leave, which is easy to get to for us magicians), you want to ask everyone how they know each other. That way you'll get to know them on a more personal level and branch away from magic making them feel closer to you now that magic isn't involved and everyone is just being themselves – which will make you seem and feel even more a part of the group.

From there, I don't really have a cocky/funny closing 'line,' I'll usually say it was nice to meet them, and that 'I'm just looking to make some new friends.' Then proceed to exchange contact information whether it's giving them a business card, exchanging Facebook info through our smart-phones and becoming Facebook-friends on the spot, or even E-Mails and phone numbers.

As a magician you want to promote yourself, improve and enlarge your social circle, treat yourself as a business that just wants to make friends – this will lead to fascinating adventures and experiences.

Bottom line is, you don't want to come off as the random magician who just popped into their lives, entertained them for two minutes, and dipped out when you ran out of material. Convey yourself as the most interesting person they'll meet in 45 days and they'll naturally feel a gravity towards you.

My friends and I do a Karaoke Night every Thursday (not saying to do Karaoke, it could be a dinner party, some kind of small gathering ritual), and when we meet new potential friends we say something as we're about to leave the group, something like, "Oh hey, we do Karaoke Night on Thursday at (wherever) and you guys should totally come out for it!"

I'm sure I've given way more than enough, even too much and off track information. Just remember that one of the top priorities of interacting with a new group is to make and keep a customer, friend, ally, whatever it may be.

Definitely use, "So how do you guys know each other." And "I'm just trying to make friends." The rest will come naturally, I promise.

- Jarek      
RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 411

Joined 2011-12-11

PM

Great advice :) Gonna put it to use.      

Signature

Moderator of SOMFv3 (A free magic forum)
Moderator of UPSB (A pen-spinning forum)
Moderator of EoM :)

www.AlexGarner.co.nr

RankRank

Joined 2011-12-14

PM

Jarek, I owe you a double thanks!

first one for letting me into your philosophy. I never really considered getting to know my 'audience' personally. This will be much easier in a bar then on the streets, but I take it as a challenge! Closing the deal on the other hand will be much easier.

second thanks is for learning me the heartbreak en number close routine. I just them allot and many girls absolutely love it! I'm glad you're here with us on the EOM forum!

Signature

RankRank

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2011-11-22

PM

Great post Jarek! Love your perspective.

@superbuny I noticed you said you performed a lot for 'girls', not sure if this is because your looking to get their details ;) if this is so I'll share with you what I used to do (I have a partner now so I must be careful with my words haha). If I were performing for a particular group of females and I wanted to get to know a specific girl I would always perform to her last and let her be apart of the trick, ie. something simple where you whisper to her 7 of hearts and then just force one of her friends the 7 of hearts. Then you just proceed to perform a dual act with her (really have fun with this part), this way for a moment you bring her into your world and I found that every time I did this it built an amazing connection. Almost always it can feel very intimate and if you can build this feeling she will not want you to leave. I guess I'm looking at this situation from a different perspective lol haha not sure if I added any value! But that's my two cents. At the end of the day the way you close will depend on what's important to you eg. Business purposes, finding love? Or just building brand equity.

Vinh

Ps. If your interested in these little tips we should start a thread on it :) magic is an amazingly intimate art!      

Signature

Rather a mind open by wonder, than one closed by belief.

RankRank

Joined 2011-12-14

PM

vinh,

you have a very good view on this. I don't know what I'm trying to do by performing magic mostly to girls. I think they're the key to most social environments. If you are talking to the most beautiful girls in a place/ street, people will start wondering who you are and start approaching you.

I think we should definitely start a topic about performing magic to girls. next week I'm in berlin, I will try filming some street magic for girls so you can CC on it!

thanks for broaden my horizon!      

Signature

RankRank

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-04-01

PM

Vinh, I definately think you should elaborate on this topic :)