Published: 11 Jul 2012 by Lenny | Comments: 9
There is nothing worse than watching a performance and not knowing whether the performer was trying to be funny or whether it was simply a bad performance.... NOTHING!
You just squirm and you just feel ill for this performer because you just feel bad for them.
Let’s learn from these people and not let it happen to us. I want to share with you guys a very important aspect of performing, something called....CLARITY!
There is something absolutely beautiful about the look on a spectator's face when they are amazed by magic. In my opinion, that is why all magicians should be doing magic...and that’s to put a smile on someone’s face. It is a unique ability that most people don’t have.
But if you are not CLEAR, and your audience cannot follow your routine, the less likely they will be enjoying your performance. Don’t get me wrong...complicated themes and storylines have their place, but simplicity is recommended especially for short pieces.
Sometimes Vinh, Jeff and myself would come up with the most twisted and complex storylines but we found that the most simple stories are the most effective. Mind you, it’s hilarious seeing Vinh trying to pull off the most crazy stories and if you watch our earlier Youtube videos, you’ll know exactly what I mean =D
Anyways, when it comes to performing a routine, it is very important that all the elements of the performance complement each other creating a stronger result, never distracting from the main focus.
For example, Siegfried & Roy are world recognised magicians who have a gracious and grand style with the use of exotic and beautiful animals. Their speech, magic, presentation and production are also grand! Everything just shouts GRAND!!!
But you’re probably thinking... “I’m just doing close up magic...I’m just performing to people not thousands of people on a stage” ...to that I say.... good point ;)
But you know what, clarity also improves single routines. Imagine all the possible ways to perform the trick and add your flavour to it. If you are naturally funny or just idiotic like we are =P then make sure that shines through. Choose a presentation style and that you feel will help the magic shine to its fullest potential. This is something we also discuss about when we design our performances here at EOM.
“For us, we randomly find inspiration in a piece of music or a specific idea for a script but we always ensure that whatever we add into the trick, that it only enhances and contributes to the final outcome of the performance and that everything fits together stylistically” - Vinh
So here’s the TOP 5 THINGS TO CHECK WHEN YOU DESIGN YOUR PERFORMANCE:
- Is the style obvious? The audience should never be confused as to whether it’s meant to be funny or serious.
- Does the story flow? When you perform you are telling a story. and so clarity in story telling means you should be telling it both verbally and physically. The script should be easy to follow and just long enough to say what you need to communicate.
- Are there lines that aren’t required? do you have lines in your performance that aren’t relevant and necessary? These lines can slow down a routine and the audience can get lost in the confusion. Stick to the story and stay on track. Keep the focus sharp and the intent clear.
- Is it entertaining? hahaha this is something we love personally =D of course, a funny line or two and something that serves to make the routine more entertaining is important. Be cautious because you do not want to veer off track and lose your momentum.
- What is the effect you are performing? Is it dangerous? Is it humourous? What type of routining works with it?
These are questions we always ask ourselves at EOM when we construct one of our performances. Do you guys have any other ideas or questions you ask yourselves? How do guys ensure there is no confusion so that your performances are more enjoyable?
Also, let me know in the comments below if you found this helpful =)
Encyclopedia of Magic
- Vinh at the Fringe!
- Illusionists were AWESOME!!!!
- EOM DVD designs!!!!!
- EOM and The Illusionists!!!
- Art of Performance: A little detail in close up card magic
- Art of Performance: Pick your words, any words
- Art of Performance: LIKEABILITY
- Art of Performance: Scripting and Performance
- The Myth of Small Hands
- What to do when your fly is undone: How to deal with ‘stuff ups’
- The Art of Performance: CHARISMA AND LIKEABILITY
- The Art of Performance: CLARITY
- Startup Weekend 2012!
- Ghost Trick for iPhone!
- How To Make Money With Magic - Part 05
- ShouldPerformeMore said:
“That’s a great article! I just want to ask you Vihn what type of university...”
- Doc Simpson said:
“All of the above is good info but if all you do is card tricks then...”
- Crea4114 said:
“A lot of the time, for a trick, I will have to retain the top or...”
- henrik482 said:
“Where are u uploading new videos vihn?”
- George Draven said:
“congrats mate, all the best ”
- Lenny said:
“Oh wow Ratheos! That’s exactly what I’m talking about! You improvised and turned a ‘...”
- Ratheos said:
“A couple of days ago I tried a self-working trick (the one labelled “how did you...”
- Rodolfo said:
“I am proud of you mate. All the best for a great and amazing person like...”
- Rodolfo said:
“@Lenny, Thanks. I am fine, still thinking of our plan regarding our new group of street...”
- Lenny said:
“@Gilvam that’s for the comment mate! If we can continue EOM nice and strong with...”