Published: 08 Feb 2012 by Vinh | Comments: 7
Hey guys! Can’t believe it’s already been a week
-_-” time really does fly!
I just wanted to touch on “Marketing” which is very important no matter what business you are running. I know this isn’t the most exciting topic in the world but think about it if you don't promote and advertise no one will know who you are. Remember your a Magician and not a secret agent! Let me give you guys an example, does McDonald really have the best hamburgers in the world? I’m hoping you all will say no lol because if you say yes then this wont make sense haha. Let me tell you who has the best hamburgers it's a small restaurant here in South Australia in the city. Their hamburgers are ridiculously tasty and just beats Macca burgers in every way.. But why do we all think Maccas when we think burgers and not this restaurant in the Adelaide City? Well the answer is simple, McDonalds spends 348957349857 millions dollars on marketing and the resturant spends close to $3,000 - $5,000 (Please do not quote me on these stats). This does not mean you need to spend $2475634875034 on marketing I am just trying to prove a point, marketing is vital to the success of your business.
What I will do with these first few blogs is I will just touch on a few points that I feel are important to help you all shape and form the right mind set then we will go into much more details a little later on. From the last post a lot of you have been asking “Well Vinh.. how do you make money with magic?” Below are some obvious ways:
- Street Magic
- This is simply a great way to practice and also a great marketing tool at the same time. Picture this you are in the city performing on a Friday night, drawing a crowd with magic isn’t hard. A few card dribbles and card springs should already get you some attention :)
After you perform magic to the crowd, everyone gets to take home a business card. This kind of marketing is very powerful because the spectators have seen you perform in person and know exactly what you have to offer, the chances of you getting a call is very high. The amount of times I did this by the bay in Adelaide and had people book me for shows on the spot is crazy! (Just to clarify this is where I would perform for free and just have fun! but in doing that I am promoting and marketing my self).
- Restaurant Magic
- This is also known as table hopping, I am not sure what it is like outside of Australia but within Australia there is definitely more demand than supply in this area of magic. A regular magician at a restaurant can definitely make that restaurant stand out and have a point of difference. The restaurant will definitely experience an increase in repeat customers, think about it what do you do when you go to a restuarant? Order your food then wait right? This is where your value as a magician comes in and with the rest I am sure you can connect the dots. This is a great way to get yourself a consistant cash flow, as they will want you back every week.
- Night Club Magic (This ones fantastic!)
- Ah if you are a young magician this will be great for you! Picture this on Saturday nights the lines for clubs sometimes wrap around the whole street corner! So what happens to the people who walk past considering going into that club? They leave because the lines too long! Now here is where you can add value, you can entertain those in the line and all of a sudden the 30 min wait doesn’t feel so long anymore. Also you help attract more people to the club. Trust me clubs are big businesses, I have been to one where they will spend $5,000 a night just on balloons... So think about how much they will be willing to pay you if you can bring them more business.
There are also; Kids parties, stage magic, corporate functions, private parties, weddings, theatre, writing books, magic shops, magic manufacturing. If I were to name everyone this would be one boring blog! lol But do share your experiences and how you make money with magic :)
Soo at this point you're all probably wondering, well how much can I earn? You know this is one of the questions where the the amount of money you earn is up to you. It depends how much you want to work? How much effort your prepared to put into it? It all boils down to you. I know from personal experience that you can earn over $2k a week working 25 hours. As a magician rates will vary drastically depending on who else works as a magician in your area. On average I used to earn about $75 - $150 per hour and more for corporate gigs.
Well I think when your bottom is sore for sitting too long its a good indication to stop the blog post and start walking around before I start yelling “I CAN’T FEEL MAH LEGS JIMMY!” lol Hope you guys are finding this information useful! A lot of you guys asked me where I learnt all this from, it’s from reading quite a few books, talking to other magicians and learning on the go. Just remember no matter what area of magic you want to get into you have to first think, how can I bring value to that person/business.
If you guys have any specific questions let me know in the comments below ok! :D
"Catcha later alligator, don't forget your toilet paper" and that's my cheesy sign off this week mwhahah!
Ps. Tell me your cheesy sign off! I've got heaps! DDD:
- Ghost and Black Ghost Decks now in store!
- South Australian Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013
- Vinh at the Fringe!
- Illusionists were AWESOME!!!!
- EOM DVD designs!!!!!
- EOM and The Illusionists!!!
- Art of Performance: A little detail in close up card magic
- Art of Performance: Pick your words, any words
- Art of Performance: LIKEABILITY
- Art of Performance: Scripting and Performance
- The Myth of Small Hands
- What to do when your fly is undone: How to deal with ‘stuff ups’
- The Art of Performance: CHARISMA AND LIKEABILITY
- The Art of Performance: CLARITY
- Startup Weekend 2012!
- Ashman said:
“Awesome deck Can’t wait to see what these guys look like in real life!”
- email@example.com said:
“Congratulations! I’m very happy that you guys are doing great. And thanks very very much...”
- MagicIsNotIllusion said:
“Congrats from the USA and thanks to much for putting on that 48 hour sale. I haven’...”
- puya.masoudi said:
“Front and back number 1 and face number 2. Very clean and elegant designs.”
- Nic. C said:
“I have created my own routine called the memory routine. I have used all the techniques...”
- Bokuwakuma said:
“1st front and 2DVD print face !!!! I’m so getting this no matter what choice you...”
- Buu Singh said:
“yo….you rule so does your teaching style ”
- ShouldPerformeMore said:
“That’s a great article! I just want to ask you Vihn what type of university...”
- Doc Simpson said:
“All of the above is good info but if all you do is card tricks then...”
- Crea4114 said:
“A lot of the time, for a trick, I will have to retain the top or...”