Published: 19 Aug 2012 by Lenny | Comments: 8
I touched on this on previous blogs but I want to talk about scripting because I always hear magicians using the same patter or jokes repeatedly in all their performances. It’s fine to keep to a set script especially if you are just starting out in magic. But if you want to take it to the next level, you need to be creative and really try to bring something unique to your audience.
Here are EOM’s top 4 tips for scripting and performance:
1. The script should suit your character and the situation
2. Type out your script so when you go back and review it after every performance, you can easily edit it
3. Like a dancer choreographing their performance on the stage, you should choreograph your speech. If you can plan out your physical action ahead of time, and practice it similarly each time, you can eliminate nervous, unfocused movement.
4. Video record your performances.
This one is hard because you will need a camera and might need a friend to record for you. But if you have both of these, we HIGHLY suggest you do this!
After one week, that’s right ONE WEEK, review and evaluate your recorded performance. If you watch it too early, you are at risk of being highly critical of yourself and too long you will find it hard to recall your performance.
The first time you review your performance watch it without sound. Notice how you move and what your body is doing. Are your movements nervous, and unfocused? Do you use gestures and body language to enhance your lines? Are you using strong and committed gestures that are comfortable for you? Some people like to place their elbows onto their ribs like they’re sewn there. Free yourself up and extend those arms. Don’t hold back.
Next watch it without picture and only sound. Listen to yourself and notice what you sound like. This your opportunity to review your script. Are there moments where your speech is not clear? Is what you’re saying engaging?
Then watch the whole performance as a whole. This is hands down the best way to review your performance. See if your body language enhances the meaning of your words. This is what Vinh, Jeff and myself do when we review our performances. We sit down and say a few good and bad points of the performances so we know what to improve in and also what to continue to excel in.
There you have it....EOM’s secret to performing like a pro! Remember to push yourself...that’s how you’re going to improve each and everytime.
Let me know below if you found this helpful in the comments. How do you currently practice? WHAT DO YOU DO TO IMPROVE ON YOUR PERFORMANCE?
Until next time...
Encyclopedia of Magic
- Ghost and Black Ghost Decks now in store!
- South Australian Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013
- Vinh at the Fringe!
- Illusionists were AWESOME!!!!
- EOM DVD designs!!!!!
- EOM and The Illusionists!!!
- Art of Performance: A little detail in close up card magic
- Art of Performance: Pick your words, any words
- Art of Performance: LIKEABILITY
- Art of Performance: Scripting and Performance
- The Myth of Small Hands
- What to do when your fly is undone: How to deal with ‘stuff ups’
- The Art of Performance: CHARISMA AND LIKEABILITY
- The Art of Performance: CLARITY
- Startup Weekend 2012!
- Ashman said:
“Awesome deck Can’t wait to see what these guys look like in real life!”
- firstname.lastname@example.org said:
“Congratulations! I’m very happy that you guys are doing great. And thanks very very much...”
- MagicIsNotIllusion said:
“Congrats from the USA and thanks to much for putting on that 48 hour sale. I haven’...”
- puya.masoudi said:
“Front and back number 1 and face number 2. Very clean and elegant designs.”
- Nic. C said:
“I have created my own routine called the memory routine. I have used all the techniques...”
- Bokuwakuma said:
“1st front and 2DVD print face !!!! I’m so getting this no matter what choice you...”
- Buu Singh said:
“yo….you rule so does your teaching style ”
- ShouldPerformeMore said:
“That’s a great article! I just want to ask you Vihn what type of university...”
- Doc Simpson said:
“All of the above is good info but if all you do is card tricks then...”
- Crea4114 said:
“A lot of the time, for a trick, I will have to retain the top or...”